Friday, September 01, 2006

the wickerman

well, i watched the wickerman today with my relatives. it was pretty awful. the ending was the worst part. i felt like i was watching a really great improv scene. the only problem is that the film is supposed to be a serious kind of twisted horror suspense driven story.

my nephew is off to kansas tommarow morning. it's pretty sad. he doesn't really want to go but he doesn't have much choice. hes going out there to some private boarding school. it's a catholic school that goes from k-12 grade, apparently. they are really strict and apparently the boys and girls aren't allowed to talk to each other. it sounds miserable. my sister one day decided to become religious and she became a traditional catholic. it's almost like being a chabadnik but worse. i think i would rather be a chabadnik than crazy catholic. of course, that is just me being slightly partial.

i don't know if i mentioned this, but i have my schedule worked out for the fall and i don't start class until 4pm on most days. i go to class three days out of the week and no one has class on fridays. four day weekends rock. i think i am going to get a part-time job so i can buy groceries and be able to go to the movies. it's insane but for working a typical college job, you earn almost 10 dollars an hour. i didn't even earn 10 dollars at my law office job and that was a decent job. i was paid 9 dollars an hour. if i get an office job in england, i will be paid more no matter what, i think, because i have a years experience working as a receptionist.

most of my classes are in london with the exception of one being on campus. my 'music and musicology' course is in Bedford Square near the British Museum and my 'Music in the Americas' course is in London somewhere. I don't know where exactly. It just says 'London' on the Music departments class schedule. My other course is in Wettons Terrace, which is the main building for the Music department. I'm a bit disappointed that I will have to travel into London for my courses because it takes about a half-hour by train. Maybe I'll be able to get a ride into London. It's only 18 miles away but it takes ages for some reason to get there by train. i guess there are stops along the way.

the reason why some of my courses are in central london is because royal holloway is a part of the University of London which has several 'colleges' around the London area, Royal Holloway included. so i guess some of the courses are taught at the central base.

i got my diploma in the mail earlier this week. pretty awesome. carl says i have to frame it. i feel happy to have finished. nothing lasts forever. generally we hang on to bad memories more than good memories, but in regard to csuf, i seem to only have the good ones to think about. i'm glad because my best memories are of my friends at fullerton. i feel so lucky to have made such wonderful friends. i don't think i've ever had friends that i could really relate to. i am very fortunate.

i think n.baker is right. i think i should probably continue working on my jewish music research. hopefully they will let me switch. the only problem is i don't know what aspect to focus on in england. i was thinking that it would be nice to do field work in israel since there are so many different cultural backgrounds in israel (jews from all over the world make aliyah and bring their home's culture along with them) it would be interesting to see what goes on musicially. also, israel is so secular that jewish pop music would be interesting too (not klezmer! and yes, pop music is a popular area right now!). but who knows. i need to get through my courses first! if i don't do my doctorate right away, i really kind of what to be a writer for a while. i actually have experience and i've been published as a journalist so i might have a chance. who knows. those long vacations for teachers is so tempting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home