Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Hidden trails and Ethno students


Hidden House, originally uploaded by vansgirl12.

I finally met the person I found on MySpace at our Computer Centre induction. She seems alright but I don't think we hit it off quite well. I told her she could come back to my place because she had to wait 3 hours before our Music department induction took place. We got back to my place and ate a late breakfast afterward I showed her my room but she wanted to go outside somewhere to sit so I went along with her (even though I would have preferred to stay locked up in my room) and went in search of a place to sit.

Needless to say, we did not find a place to see really but we found a hidden away trail that leads around an area that maintains several greenhouses. It was quite cool. Afterward I brought her back to my commons area and she took a nap. I got bored and she probably sensed it so she basically let me go on my way.

After that we had our induction for the department which was a long 3 hour introduction to the programme. That was alright up until one of the professors went off on a tangent about research catalogues like RILM ad JSTOR (catalogues that I am more than enough familar with).

At one point we were asked to talk about our Special Study dissertation topic. Seeing as I didn't have a clear idea otherwise, I talked about what I wrote up in my proposal and that seemed to hit it off quite well as the professor didn't ask me a single question. I guess I came off appearing as if I knew what I was talking about! Other people were being asked loads of questions as their topics were quite broad or else a bit unsure. There are three Americans in the MMus pathway, including myself. One I believe might be Opera Studies and the other is a bit wishy washy and I wonder if she will last through the programme (she is going part-time as well).

I spoke to someone who did the MMus programme in Ethno and who is now starting his PhD at RHUL. He is being fully funded (well you really shouldn't do a PhD if you can't be fully funded) and its seems that I have to figure it out by January if I want to do the PhD programme next year or else wait a year. I might do it. It's a 3-4 year programme depending on how long you take which is not really bad.

I still have a cold but cold medicine helps wonders. Tomorrow is a free day for me so I hope to get some rest. This morning we had a fire alarm go off at 7:30am which was not exactly the nicest thing but at least it didn't go off at 4 in the morning.

Monday I have booked a ticket to see a live musical performance of a SciFi film called Metropolis. That is, the score will be performed live to the film. Should be a nice experience. It was brought to my attention via the Film Music expert at the department so I figure I should take advantage of anything that comes my way while I am here.

Currently I am waiting for my mac and cheese to cook in the oven so I can eat dinner! Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home