Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Avoiding already?

I am listening to some Radiohead b-sides while I avoid my reading. I know. It's only the third week and already I am procrastinating? Well, it is just that I made a mistake today and photo-copied the same chapter I had photo-copied earlier this week and now I have to risk being late to a course I am auditing called 'Techniques in Performance Studies' and possibly not even finishing the reading in time for my 'Music and Muisicology' course. I guess I am feeling a bit down about it. Also, some of the reading is really boring as it tends to get caught up in theories about expression in performance and making it all quite scientific. I really have no care to read about that. It does not make me a better oboe player. What makes me a better performer is performing in ensembles and well, practicing, and listening.

Anyhow, performance studies isn't about performing it's about STUDYING performances, recordings, etc. What rubbish. Yeah, I am feeling a bit negative about my courses at the moment and I suppose it really just stems from a bad day (never again will I believe my fellow students when they tell me that they know for sure the train will get us there on time when I know for a fact they are wrong) and waking up to absolutely no view of the sky due to a very thick layer of gray clouds and then pouring rain, thunder, and even lightening. However, by the time I got into London the rain had cleared and the sky seemed to show up. It was actually warm enough so that I took off my jacket and walked around in a short-sleeved blouse. I read that London is really feeling the effects of global warming and can be anywhere from 7-9 degrees celcius warmer than usual. Sounds bad.

Right now I feel like I don't care about my courses but usually when I sit in the lecture/seminar I feel much better about them. I get a bit frustrated with my classmates who don't always say anything good or really they don't say anything. I don't know what I am expecting. I don't even want to talk to my classmates anymore. I am being too harsh on them and too judgmental. I should really lighten up.

Well, I should really get back to my articles and get to bed as I have a seriously long day tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't have any expectations of your classmates at all. Whether they have opinions or not doesn't matter. All that matters is that you have an opinion and are willing to say it.

So you don't want to read for class. And you hate thinking about your classes unless you are actually there. Hey, that sounds like me.

Carl

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home