Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sci-Fi thrillers and first day nerves


Barbican Centre, originally uploaded by vansgirl12.

Last night I saw the 1925 silent film 'Metropolis' at the Barbican. The score was performed live by the famous german film orchestra, Orchestra Babelsberg. It was really awesome. Fritz Lang put together a really great film it had just the right amount of sci-fi, love, struggle, drama, etc. The score was nice as well as it was a perfect example of what a good film score is! Obviously, if it is a silent film then the score is essential to the film. It was just nice to hear a good score for a change.

This weekend I am going to experience some more music at the Barbican Centre. It's the birthday celebration for Steve Reich out here (somehow he has becomed the most loved American minimalist in London). It's a week long celebration versus the one day concert I attended at UCLA for Terry Riley. It is also probably a less relaxed atmosphere than the Riley concert. There are quite a few free stage events going on as well that tie to the series so I'll be attending as much of those this weekend, as well. Apparently there is a concert at 5pm that features Glenn Branca and I thought of the Paul v. Glenn deathmatch. Good times!

I am going to audit the Techniques of Opera Studies at 2pm because I figure I should take advantage of all of the courses available to me. For all the courses I audit, I am only required to read the weekly articles---no exams. So that is nice. I suppose I will spend Thursdays in Bedford Square auditing other classes as well. Pack a lunch!

Today my first official course begins at 4pm. That is my Techniques of Ethnomusicology course. I am excited. I have my notebook ready to go. I have misplaced my eraser though, so I am bummed about that. I did the reading, I chose some Nigerian musics to listen to and I'm ready to go! I hope I don't make a fool of myself on the first day.

The weather has been great today, sunny and no rain! Let's see how long that lasts...it always rains in England.

In the picture above, do you see the man standing under the light? I didn't know he was there until after I took the shot.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool pic. kinda dark, but i like that kinda thing. rember that oil painting i did?

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home